top of page
  • Writer's pictureVy Tran

April 2021 Technique Squad Blog Hop

Welcome to the April 2021 Technique Squad Blog Hop! I’m excited to be part of this fun collaboration with fellow Stampin' Up Demonstrators. It’s a chance to explore new techniques and have fun experimenting. This month, we’re making stained glass cards.

For my card, I used the beautiful cover die from the Potted Succulents set. To start, I created a standard card based from Basic White Thick cardstock: 8-1/2” x 5-1/2”, scored at 4-1/4" along the long side. I then trimmed a piece of Adhesive Sheet, took off just one side of the backing, and applied it to the inside of the card front. I then centered the die on the outside of the card front and cut. Once the other backing was removed from the Adhesive Sheet, the die cut basically became a sticker, allowing me to easily add a piece of vellum behind it. The Adhesive Sheet is a huge time saver, and it ensures there won't be any stray adhesive to mar the vellum. It’s looking pretty already! If you have the patience for it, you could also save all the bits that were cut out and stick them onto a different project.

Next, I used daubers to blend ink on the back of the vellum. I even got to use some of the 2021-23 In Colors that will be available in the new Annual Catalog coming May 4th—Soft Succulent (of course!), Polished Pink, and Fresh Freesia. The other colors I used were Bermuda Bay, Garden Green, Gorgeous Grape, Just Jade, Old Olive, and Rich Razzleberry. Because the vellum is not as porous as regular cardstock, the ink sits on the surface longer, making it easier to blend. But that also means the ink takes longer to dry, so give it extra time—or else help it along gently with the heat tool—so that the ink won’t smear.

To give the finished card a more tidy look, I created another die cut for the back of the vellum. I applied a piece of Adhesive Sheet to a 4-1/4” x 5-1/2” piece of Basic White cardstock. I then centered the die *on top of* the Adhesive Sheet. This is the opposite of what we’d normally do, but it meant that the sticky part would be on the front of the die cut, which is what I needed. I removed just part of the backing sheet and carefully lined up this second die cut so that it matched up with the one on the front of the card. Once that was in place, I gradually pulled off more of the backing until everything was adhered down. Removing just a little of the backing at a time made it easier to maneuver things.

Next, I cut and folded another standard card base and adhered the two of them together to form a nested trifold card. This provides a white backing for the ”stained glass” card front and keeps the inside message hidden.

I stamped the inside of the card with the coordinating Simply Succulents stamp set. For a finishing touch, I stamped a sentiment and used a couple of the label dies included in Potted Succulent. See that pretty ribbon? That’s another one of the new In Color products coming soon. When the front panel is held up to the light, it glows nicely!

Thank you for hopping to my site and checking out my project! I hope you’ll have a chance to try this technique with us!

Click the NEXT button to go see JoAnn Pollock’s awesome project!

If you like the new colors and want to get a sampling of all the In-Color products after they're available on May 4th, check out my Product Share offering. The Simply Succulents stamp and Potted Succulents die will both continue to be available into the new Annual catalog, but the 10% savings from getting them together as a bundle is only through May 3rd.


Shoppable Supply List:


bottom of page